Physical Agility Test
The NFTA Transit Police Physical Agility Examination will measure your physical
performance through a series of three tests that will be administered on a pass/fail basis.
The minimum physical fitness standards for hiring are included in a chart following the
description of tests. The chart also includes the minimum fitness graduation standards a
recruit must meet to successfully complete the academy.
Test I - Sit-Ups
Measures muscular endurance (core body)
• Start in the supine position with knees bent at approximately 90-degree angle.
• Fingers interlaced behind the head.
• Feet placed flat on floor held firmly at ankles.
• Raise upper body by touching elbows to the knees and then return down until the
shoulder blades touch the floor.
• Resting will only be permitted in up position.
• Must complete at least the minimum required number of correct sit-ups in one
• Any sit-ups not performed according to this procedure will not count toward the
number required to pass the test.
Test II – Push-ups
Measures muscular endurance (upper body)
• Start in up position with elbows fully extended and hands approximately shoulder
width apart on the floor.
• Back should be kept straight at all times.
• Lower body towards the floor bending arms and keeping hands in a fixed position
until sternum touches the administrator’s fist (approximately 4 inches high).
• Return to up position keeping back straight.
• Resting will only be permitted in the up position.
• Must complete at least the minimum required number of correct push-ups.
• Any push-ups not performed according to this procedure will not count toward the number required to pass the test.
Test III – 1.5 Mile Run
Measures cardiovascular endurance
• Refrain from eating or smoking two hours prior to testing.
• Time will be allowed for stretching and warming up prior to testing.
• Must complete run within the required time limit.
• Finish times will be called out and recorded.
• Following test, time will be allowed for cooling down and stretching.
To successfully graduate from the Academy, candidates must achieve a minimum fitness
level at the 50th percentile.